THE NATIONAL - Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers (2003), listen #1

So, the National seemed to have a formula.  And without really changing their basic indie-rock setup (I guess there are more keys, and they add a viola on a few tracks), they're breaking with what I thought was their formula.  I am very very confused by Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers.  I did actually say out loud "what am I listening to?"  (I was in the gym, so I did try to say it quietly, at least.)

I was not thrilled to hear opener "Cardinal Song" seemingly leaning into everything that The National did wrong.  With all the talent you have, you're going to lean into the mumbling without a discernable tune and doing the giving bad advice thing, about how it's important to manipulate "her" into wanting you?  After just one listen, I have no idea if the borderline-misogyny is ironic or not.  The bigger issue was that I was thinking "Cardinal Song" was just a singularly unappealing song to me musically.  But then it kept going.  And went into a string breakdown that was pretty nice.  And then went into another vocal part that didn't seem to have much to do with the first part of the song.  The song is over 6 minutes, which is an eternity for a National song, and made me ask "what am I listening to?"

And then came "Slipping Husband" with its pseudo spoken word delivery and, uh, contempt for a guy who fails at being a husband and father, or something?  It's certainly different.  And it culminates in an attempt at a grunge-type screamed vocal, which is not something I was expecting to hear after the 10 minutes of music that led up to it.  What was I listening to?

And although it settled into a bit of a blur after that, that was basically my first reaction to this record.  I can't say I can distinguish between the different songs - quite a few had bits I found interesting but I have no memory of which is which.  I don't know what a 90-mile water wall is.  I can't help but be impressed or bemused by the band putting songs called "Sugar Wife" and "Trophy Wife" back to back.   I don't know whether the narrator of "Trophy Wife" referring to himself as a "trophy wife" reflects a song from a female perspective or a male character playing with gendered expectations - I suspect the latter given a few other lyrics in the song, but am just a bit baffled by the whole thing.  And why does "Fashion Coat" paint such a clear picture of a character and then have a chorus that seems to have nothing to do with it lyrically?  And why is "Lucky You" such a bonfide rocker, at least by National standards, and why haven't they leaned into this aspect of their sound more rather than saving it for the last track?

So, not sure I get it.  I have no idea whether or not I like Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers.  But there's something to be said for a band being able to surprise me like this on just their second record.

I'm not even going to try rating the record or picking favorite tracks, since I don't know what's what.  Let's see what coalesces next time.

Listen #2 whenever I get around to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B-FEST 2024: Just remember - don't do drugs, because B-Fest may just rip your face off

ELUVEITIE - Spirit (2006)

ELUVEITIE - Slania (2008)