THE NATIONAL - Sleep Well Beast (2017), listens #4 and on

Say what you will about Sleep Well Beast, it is a National record through and through.  This means that many of the things I think about the National in general I think about this record. 

I think I've been clear about what I think this band's biggest strengths are.  Well, more of them here.  For example, despite the lack of musical vocabulary, we've discussed that a certain type of chord simply sounds really good to my ears.  Since I normally emphasize the vocal melody, instead I'll highlight the bridge in "Day I Die" after the second chorus as my example to represent the whole record.  So far the song has been running on a  basic guitar-and-keys groove, punctuated by the drums.  After Matt stops singing, the pace slows down, one guitar starts playing a two-note figure, and then a second guitar suddenly drops in a four note "do do DO do" thing.  That bit is delivered at basically the same place in the bar that the song's main U2-esque guitar screech comes in during the intro, but it then takes over the song and serves as the backdrop for the next minute or so before returning to the original riff.  I find it to be an incredibly appealing sound, appearing at that particular moment.  I could list a bunch more examples but the point is that, as usual, Sleep is chock full of those great moments.  

Around the time of Boxer, the particular  thing that the National got so good at doing was giving me those moments in a way that fit together; I've dutifully mentioned it in the writeup of every record since.  Again, there could be loads of examples, but seriously, just listen to "The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness" a bunch of times, with special attention to every single vocal part.  That thing they do where each part builds on what came before to be more than the sum of its parts is in especially strong evidence there; Sleep is a good record overall for that.  I've also written at great length about the fact that around the time of Boxer the National became masters of sound/lyric synergy, in which the instruments effectively convey the same vibe as an associated lyric.  You see that a bunch here.  "I'll Still Destroy You" sounds like a twisted carnival funhouse version of a kid's lullabye, with the music further speeding up in line with the narrator's fear of losing control.  Really clever.

So, given this band's propensity for generating moments that sound good to me, and their ability to crank out record after record that plays to their strengths, am I a National fan?  A die-hard?  And how do I think Sleep Now Beast, very much one of their records, stacks up against their best?

I do think I'm always going to have this little bit of distance wherein I "appreciate" the band more than completely loving them.  I do think the highest that I'll ever rate one of their records is probably 4 out of 5.  To understand why, exhibit A is "Nobody Else Will Be There."  This is the sort of song the National clearly love writing, since a song of that sort is the first track on basically every record, and it's... uh, it's fine, I guess, except for that annoying snapping sound.  I spend the time longing for some momentum to go along with the atmospherics.  The song doesn't really do anything I haven't heard from them seventeen other times.  C'mon, can't you act like a rock band?  This is a stark contrast to something like "Day I Die," for me.  DID also isn't the most amazing song they've ever written, but just listen to how convincing it is when the live drums come in at the beginning.  The track bursts with energy and tension that easily carry it through its repetitious parts.

Okay, fine.  Don't vibe with everything, yet the parts I like, I do quite like.  I mostly like this band, established.  Now, Boxer has been my favorite record until now.  Do I "quite like" Sleep to the extent that I "quite like" Boxer?  I actually listened to the Boxer (Live In Brussels) set to compare... okay, and because that's where I am in my chronology anyway.  Most of those songs fit nicely, giving me a fuzzy familiar feeling hearing them again.  My mind still drifted some.  That's kind of how I feel about Sleep.  Very strong collection of songs.  

Are they just doing what Boxer already did, in a similar way?  Cuz if so, I have to rank Sleep behind Boxer, right?  Maaaybe.  There's not quite a "Mistaken For Strangers" on this one.  Yet Sleep keeps me on my toes a little bit.  Three reasons for that, the obvious one being the seamless mix of electronic and analog instrumentation in a way that deepens their sound without watering anything down.  Reason #2 is something that I'd initially tagged as a flaw - at one point I wasn't sure about the run of tracks towards the end that're all uneasiness over an electronic beat.  I thought in particular that "I'll Still Destroy You" and "Guilty Party" coming so close together (and not far from "Sleep Well Beast," etc) wasn't ideal, although I liked both tracks.  On repeat listen, I've gotten sucked into the vibe that the second half of the record sets.  Despite the unfortunate presence of "Dark Side Of The Gym" breaking it up, the whole thing benefits from being listened to together, as a big mood piece in a way that the National have attempted before but never with this level of success.  And finally, I'm still a bit surprised, in a good way, by the sheer audacity of "Walk It Back," just how much they commit to the tuneless vocals, the groove, and the sound collage.  It's both a great song and something decidedly different than any previous National song, to me.  So, okay.  I'm really trying to avoid recency bias... but I do think we have a new champion.

Before I end this post, I have to answer the question (that nobody actually asked) of which was the surprise song(s) that grew on me big time after not standing out at first.  Well, I knew there'd be at least one that I didn't expect... but I still didn't expect that it'd be "Carin At The Liquor Store."  The unsettled, reaching vocal melody won the day.  Also, I don't know if it counts quite the same way, but from the start I loved the chorus of "Turtleneck" more than I kinda hated the "this is so embarassing" pre-chorus.  I enjoy the chorus even more now - sometimes there's nothing like rock and fucking roll, even when it's all arch and ironic - and have come to appreciate the way the janky buildup justifies it too.  The whole song gets stuck in my head now, affected mannerisms and all.


Favorite track:  "The Future Only Dreams In Total Darkness"
Runner up:  I want to be all highbrow and pick one of the more melodic songs...but honestly, it's "Turtleneck"
Least favorite:  "Dark Side Of The Gym"
Overall rating:  4/5

Definitive running list of records by the National that I have listened to in order of what I have decided is unambiguously their quality
1)  Sleep Well Beast
2)  Boxer
3)  Trouble Will Find Me
4)  High Violet
5)  Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers
6)  Alligator
7)  The National
8)  Cherry Tree

Due to my schedule, this will almost certainly be the last post for at least a few weeks.  But at some point, I will attempt to figure out the I Am Easy To Find thing, and develop thoughts about it.  Whenever I get around to it... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B-FEST 2024: Just remember - don't do drugs, because B-Fest may just rip your face off

ELUVEITIE - Spirit (2006)

ELUVEITIE - Slania (2008)