SCREAMING TREES - The SST years (1987-1989)

We haven't even gotten to all of the slagging the Screaming Trees' indie records get in Lanegan's book.  The next chapters of Sing Backwards And Weep, that I haven't written about yet, just keep piling on the abuse.  Besides continuing to go out of his way to emphasize that his "only contribution to Screaming Trees songwriting had been attempting to change the most egregious of Lee Conner's lyrics to something less embarrassing to sing," he has a few more digs at how his perception that their work was second rate shaped everything that he did at this point.  He describes mortification every time he hears one of their songs in the wild, hammering on his involvement in this band as a source of humiliation.  Pretty strong stuff.  This is what he's reacting against when talking about trying to make something that was authentically his with The Winding Sheet.  So given that Lanegan himself is almost violently dismissive of his own breakthrough work, and so anxious to make it clear that it's not his voice, where does it fit into an exploration of his career?  In this case, it means we burn through the next three records in one go.  I skipped the EPs for sanity's sake, because I have limits.   But there were three full-lengths that the Trees released with SST, I did spend time with each one, and I have a few thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARREN ZEVON - Sentimental Hygiene (1987)

?Classics? of power metal #6: AVANTASIA - The Metal Opera (2001), upon further review

?Classics? of power metal #9: ANGRA - Temple Of Shadows (2004), upon further review